The name or brand “Dangote” doesn’t sound foreign to you, if it does then you are not a true Nigerian. I could even push further and say not a true African. But I wouldn’t, let’s stop in my country. Recognizing his name and the facts about Dangote means he is doing something right in the business world, hence, someone with his kind of experience with business has a few things about himself and his business that could inspire every businessman. Recently, I wrote about quotes from Dangote that are nugget worthy and will motivate you. In this article, I’ll share with you facts about Dangote and 15 things about him every businessman should know.
Who is Aliko Dangote?
Aliko Dangote is a 64years old business magnate and the richest man in Africa. He is the founder and CEO of the Dangote Group. He was born in Kano, Nigeria and his education was mostly in Egypt, Cairo.
Dangote comes from a well-known business inclined family, he is the grandson of Alhaji Alhassan Dantata; he was the richest person in Africa at the time he was alive. He ventured into business at the age of 21. Aliko Dangote owns the second-largest sugar refinery in the whole world, the largest cement factory in the world (again), one of the largest flour mills in the world, and the number two largest fertilizer plant in the world.
According to Forbes, Dangote is worth $14 billion and has maintained topping the list of the richest men in Africa for more than 10 years.
Dangote is a quintessential and successful businessman and a philanthropist.
next, I’ll be sharing with you the things every businessman should know about him. They will be factual as I will be adding his words to each point.
Things Every Businessman Should Know About Dangote
There are people who think that because Dangote is from a rich successful business family, he is privileged, and not every business owner can learn from him. This notion is understandable but stay with me, the things I’ll be sharing with you will probably change that notion.
Regardless of your money status or how long you’ve been a business person, there’s something you can adopt into your business from knowing these facts about Dangote.
1. Dangote Understands the Need for Passion
Here’s what he said during an interview with Bloomberg when he was asked to share a business hack.
We had already studied doing 300,000 barrels a day back in 2005. At that time I couldn’t even fathom a larger refinery. I had no financial capacity. Then in about 2010, we paid all Dangote Group’s debts, which amounted to $2 billion…We don’t want to listen to the critics, because their intention is to destroy us. We are using our own money. This is my lifetime project. I have to back it up with my own life to make sure it is delivered.
There is no way you can have a population of 320 million in West Africa and no self-sufficiency. So the first thing to do is food security. We have land, we have water, we have the climate—we shouldn’t be a massive importer of food. With modern farming, you can get 8 to 10 tons per hectare. I believe Dangote Group is in the right position to drive this trajectory.
This statement oozes passion from every angle. He had a huge amount of debt to pay but his passion for what he does as a business kept him going. Among many other things, It takes passion to keep at a business, especially failure to some extent looms.
Also, I believe that before a business, there’s a person behind it, and there’s a passion driving the business in the person. Do you get it?
2. Dangote is Hungry for Success and Confident While at it
In the interview he had with Bloomberg, he said a lot of inspiring things and I’ll point out one of them again.
Beginning in 2020 our major investment will be in the U.S. and Europe… Beginning in 2020, 60 percent of our future investments will be outside Africa, so we can have a balance.
Let’s say that by 2025, I’m looking at [putting in] between $20 billion and $50 billion [in Europe or the U.S].
Our business strategy has always been like that, yes. We don’t want to be No. 2 in anything that we do. We want to be No. 1. Worst case, we can be No. 2 but targeted to become No. 1
Put in mind, this was a well-successful man already. Everyone knew how successful he was but, he was hungry for more success and it kept him on his toes to do more, be more, and have more.
3. Provide Valuable Goods and Services
When Dangote was asked why he chose to be involved with cement. His reply would shock you;
I think actually what I figured out was looking at the entire African continent, especially sub-Saharan, and saying, “What do we actually produce?” What I learned is that the majority of African countries imported cement. The better way, I thought, would be to empower Africa – to meet our own infrastructural needs so that we could be more self-sufficient.
Personally, I think this is where business owners get it wrong. They provide a service that is not a solution. Dangote realized a sector that was lacking and built a business up from there. Dear business owner, before venturing into a business, make sure to find what solution it will provide.
4. Dangote is Thoughtful
There’s a trend that goes on around business owners which is taking up an interest in selling what is trendy and popular. Dangote thinks otherwise and he did differently. Here’s what he said:
The majority of people here made their money through oil. But Dangote has never ever dealt in oil, which is to prove that you don’t have to be in oil. In Nigeria, oil has really damaged our thinking. Everyone is thinking about oil, oil, oil. And we are one company that has made a success without doing that.
Business owners, you do not have to follow the trend of what other business people do. Look carefully, there’s something else to be done. Think deeply, relating to the previous point, there is a solution that people need, you just have to find it.
5. Dangote Is Bold and Daring
There’s a saying that, “only a bold man makes the bold moves”. Before a business gets successful, an entrepreneur must have taken a move that was out of their comfort zone. Can you think of yourself as being bold? No? A business person should be able to do this and this is one of the facts about Dangote that I find really inspiring as someone that is interested in business.
We make a lot of bold moves, which other people find really difficult to take. We always dream very big, and we’re committed to investing in Africa… the only way to move Africa forward is for people like us to take very bold moves. I never worry about being too bold. In business it’s good to be aggressive, but with a human face.
The above statement is what Dangote said in a recent interview.
6. Dangote is Consistent
What makes a business known for the value it has to offer is the consistency in the running of the business.
To hold on to consistency, find ways to remove hitches that come with entrepreneurship.
7. Dangote Appreciates People and Hire the Smart Ones
I always make sure I hire people smarter than me.
A business only thrives when there are various heads with different brilliant task execution. Dangote is aware of this so he hires smarter people, that way, things get done with the help of these people’s brains.
8. Dangote Wants to Make People Happy
My grandfather once told me the soul of business is not making money, it is making people happy and I have held on to it
9. Dangote Embraces Competition
Don’t kill the competition. Competition is healthy for businesses. It keeps you the entrepreneur on your toes.
He sees competition as an opportunity to be better and do better.
10. Dangote Is a Big Dreamer but Knows the Importance of Starting Small
To build a successful business, you must start small and dream big
Any business has its early beginning which is definitely small. He encourages starting small with the hope that it gets big and better.
11. Dangote Makes Tough Decisions to Keep His Company Afloat
If I had challenges in my company, I would not hesitate to sell assets to remain afloat, to get to the better times, because it doesn’t make any sense for me to keep any assets and then suffocate the whole organization.
He is aware and knows when certain risks should be taken.
12. Dangote is Patient
You could easily tell that hard work and perseverance go hand in hand with patience. We often hear people say patience is worth it, yet we don’t practice it. I did and look how well it worked out for me.
Dear business owner, be patient. It takes time to build anything.
13. Dangote Makes Adequate Research About Business
The most dangerous thing for an entrepreneur to do is to actually go into a business that he does not understand fully.
Do not, I repeat, do not venture when you don’t understand. This is one of the facts about Dangote that I find admirable. Every business owner should do this
14. Dangote Started to Build With Ambition
If you don’t have ambition, you shouldn’t be alive.
Ambition is basically what you want from life. Dangote chose the business part and he followed through with it.
15. Dangote Knows When to Sleep
I cannot stress this enough, it’s okay to be passionate about your business but know when to sleep. Know when to rest and build the body. Dangote says:
Exercise is better than any medicine I can take; exercise and sleep.
Don’t wait until you fall sick, If the richest man in Africa prioritizes exercise and sleep, who are you not to?
Every single point and fact about Dangote in business can increase your process as a business owner, you just have to take what you need and make use of it.
While you are here, this is the best time to read the effective qualities every entrepreneur should have.
I wish you a successful business. Cheers to your growth!
What is Dangote slogan?
“Building prosperity and self-sufficiency.”
What is Dangote full name?
Alhaji Aliko Dangote
How much does Dangote make in a day?
Dangote makes around 15 million a day
What is Dangote’s position in the world?
He is the richest man in the continent of Africa for 1, 2, 3…11th year. Yes, you are seeing right.
What type of company is Dangote?
Dangote is a Nigerian multinational industrial conglomerate and its position is the largest corporation in West Africa and also one of the largest in Africa.
What has Dangote done for Nigeria?
The list is quite lengthy but the most notable and world-recognized one is this; In the year 2021, Dangote (Cement sector) moved to erect the biggest cement plant in Africa in Southwest Nigeria. With this, It made Nigeria a cement exporting country.
Who gave Dangote money to start business?
His uncle; Sanusi Abdulkadir Dantata gave Dangote money to start business. Dangote was the one that actually requested the loan.
There’s nothing terrible about being single. It’s an awesome time that allows you to concentrate more on yourself, love yourself more, know yourself and also help you figure out hidden talents and abilities you have. Being single allows you to do whatever pleases you, go wherever pleases you. While being single is fun with so many pros attached to it, there are some cons too, which are questions that get thrown at us once in a while, questions like “why are you single? When are you getting married? Are you gay?”, but not to worry because I have put together 30 quotes about how to enjoy being single, more like comeback quotes to the questions.
It also helps you decide how to live your life and how much fun you want to have while living your life to the fullest. When you are single you feel like you are the richest person on earth, because you have a lot of time, energy, money, freedom, peace and many other things to make life interesting, and you wouldn’t have to worry about someone else or have to wait for someone else’s opinions or decision.
These quotes about how to enjoy being single should be your daily guide during your singlehood.
Quotes That Will Help You Enjoy Being Single
1. Single is no longer a lack of options-but a choice. A choice to refuse to let your life be defined by your relationship status but to live everyday happily and let your ever after work itself out. Mandy Hale
2. To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance. Oscar Wilde
3. Being single used to mean that nobody wanted you. Now it means you’re pretty, sexy and you’re taking your time deciding how you want your life to be and who you want to spend it with. Carrie Bradshaw
4. Being single is about celebrating and appreciating your own space that you’re in. Kelly Rowland
5. Single is not a status. It is a word that describes a person who is strong enough to live and enjoy life without depending on others. Prixie
6. If you really are going to be happy single, you have to stop treating being single as the annoying time that you pass between relationships and embrace it. Rather than focusing on what you lack, focus on what you have; You. Natalie Lue
7. I like being single. I’m always there when I need me. Art Leo
8. I love being single. I can come and go as I please and stay out as late as I want to. Eric Dickerson
“9. single” is an opportunity to live life on your own terms and not apologize. Mandy Hale
10. The most profound relationship we will ever have is the one with ourselves. Shirley MacLaine
11. When you’re single and in your 20s. You throw on a pair of jeans and look fabulous. Sheena Easton
12. Love yourself first, because that’s who you’ll spend the rest of your life with. Luigina Sgarro
13. Being single entitles you to not ask someone’s opinion before you do something to mess up your own room, your credit report, or even your life. Sayali Patil
14. I don’t need prince charming to have my own happy ending. Katy Perry
15. Hope for love, pray for love, wish for love, dream for love…but don’t put your life on hold waiting for love. Mandy Hale
16. You alone are enough. You have nothing to prove to anybody. Maya Angelou
17. People would be a lot better off if they’d enjoy being single. Lewis Black
18. Being single is definitely better than being with the wrong person. Hassan Choughari
19. I think it’s very healthy to spend time alone. You need to know how to be alone and not defined by another person. Oscar Wilde
20. Now I’m feeling how I should. Never knew single could feel this good. Jason Derulo
21. Single? No, I’m just in a relationship with freedom. Anonymous
22. There are some places in life where you can only go alone. Embrace the beauty of your solo journey.Mandy Hale
23. I love being single. It’s almost like being rich. Sue Grafton
24. Always remember that you were once alone, and the crowd you see in your life today are just as unnecessary as when you were alone. Michael Bassey Johnson
25. The longer you stay single, the more you become a threat to other relationships. Nitya Prakash
26. Singleness isn’t an excuse to take a back seat on life but an opportunity to wholeheartedly pursue your own purpose. Michael Todd
27. My alone feels so good. I’ll only have you if you’re sweeter than my solitude. Warsan Shire
28. Too many women throw themselves into romance because they’re afraid of being single, then start making compromises and losing their identity. I won’t do that. Greta Garbo
29. One of my favourite parts of being single is how I get to choose who I spend my time with, share my heart with, hang with, giggle with, call, dine across from. Tracee Ellis Ross
20. If you aren’t happy single, you won’t be happy taken. Happiness comes from within, not from men. Anonymous
The above quotes about how to enjoy being single will let you know that you don’t need the opposite sex to be happy, you can create your own happiness and still live life. You don’t have to rush into a relationship because the world keeps asking why you are single, you can as well embrace your singlehood, get to know yourself more, love yourself more and date yourself. These quotes about how to enjoy being single will also prepare you for when you decide to change your relationship status.
Your life purpose is your life message, your reason for existing. It’s the reason why you get up every morning, the reason why you try to be better, the reason why you feel unfulfilled after a wasted day. Finding your purpose is important and it can make a great impact in your life and also in the life of others around you. Some people think that you can only start to find your purpose in life when you clock 25 or 30, but the truth is that it doesn’t matter if you are 8, 16, 19, or even 30 if you want to live a meaningful life that others would want to emulate, you need to find your purpose in life. In this article, you will find 30 quotes about finding your purpose in life. These quotes about finding your purpose in life will encourage you and also help you up when it all seems like it would come crashing down.
1. Life is never made unbearable by circumstances, but only by lack of meaning and purpose. Viktor Frankl
2. There is no greater gift you can give or receive than to honour your calling. It is why you were born. And how you become most truly alive. Oprah Winfrey
3. He who has a why to live can bear almost anyhow. Friedrich Nietzsche
4. Having a purpose is the difference between making a living and making a life. Tom Thiss
5. To begin to think with purpose, is to enter the ranks of those strong ones who only recognize failure as one of the pathways to attainment. James Allen
6. The heart of human excellence often begins to beat when you discover a pursuit that absorbs you, frees you, challenges you, or gives you a sense of meaning, joy, or passion. Terry Orlick
7. When you find your WHY, you don’t hit snooze no more! You find a way to make it happen. Eric Thomas
8. Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement.W. Clement Stone
9. The path to our destination is not always a straight one. We go down the wrong road, we get lost, we turn back. Maybe it doesn’t matter which road we embark on. Maybe what matters is that we embark. Barbara Hall
10. The mystery of human existence lies not in just staying alive. But in finding something to live for. Fyodor Dostoyevsky
11. You can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So, you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something – your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life. Steve Jobs
12. If you can’t figure out your purpose, figure out your passion. For your passion will lead you right into your purpose. Bishop T.D. Jakes
13. The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honourable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.Ralph Waldo Emerson
14. When a man does not know what harbor he is making for, no wind is the right wind. Seneca
15. Efforts and courage are not enough without purpose and direction. John F. Kennedy
16. If you have a strong purpose in life, you don’t have to be pushed. Your passion will drive you there. Roy T. Bennett
17. Don’t ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive. Howard Thurman
18. Knowing your purpose gives your life meaning, simplicity, focus and motivation. It also prepares you for eternity. Rick Warren
19. Your purpose must be particular to you. This is the road less travelled. Your purpose cannot be someone else’s path, not your family’s, not your friend’s path. Drew Scott Pearlman
20. For starters, making a positive contribution to someone else’s life says that you are worthwhile and have a purpose in life. Luke Gregory
21. Once you determine that the important result you want are an expression of your life’s purpose, you cannot help but bring drive, dedication, and determination to each day’s efforts. You will be driven to act relentlessly to meet cherished goals, all the while feeling rewarded, satisfied and even joyful in the process. Russell Grieger
22. You can’t just sit there and wait for people to give you that golden dream, you’ve got to get out there and make it happen for yourself. Diana Ross
23. The soul which has no fixed purpose in life is lost; to be everywhere is to be nowhere. Michel de Montaigne
24. By setting and pursuing goals, you have nothing to lose but a lot to gain. It has been scientifically proven that people who set goals are more fulfilled and positive about life. Having a purpose to wake up to each day will challenge us and give us meaning. Zoe Mckey
25. It doesn’t matter how long you are spending on the earth, how much money you have gathered or how much attention you have received. It is the amount of positive vibration you have radiated in your life that matters. Amit Ray
26. I want to live my life in such a way that when I get out of bed in the morning, the devil says. “aw shit, he’s up!”. Steve Maraboli
27.A man said to the universe: “sir, I exist!” “However,” replied the universe, “The fact has not created in me a sense of obligation.” Stephen Crane
28. The significance of our lives and our fragile planet is then determined only by our own wisdom and courage. We are the custodians of life’s meaning. We long for a parent to care for us, to forgive our errors, to save us from our childish mistakes. But knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. If we crave some cosmic purpose, then let us find ourselves a worthy goal. Carl Sagan
29. A wind that blows aimlessly is no good to anyone. Rick Riordan
30. Nothing is more creative… nor destructive… than a brilliant mind with a purpose. Dan Brown
You need to constantly ask yourself important questions to discover yourself and also find your purpose. The above quotes about finding your purpose in life would guide you along the right path to understand why it is necessary to have a purpose and also how to find it. These quotes about finding your purpose in life are by intelligent people who have walked the face of the earth, in search of their purpose and what makes life worth living to them.
What makes life complete is the relationships we make and keep, we tend to learn, make mistakes and grow through them. But truth be told, relationships are not easy, they require a lot of hard work. Be it a relationship with friends, a loved one, a family, you have to put in so much work to make it work and last. Relationships are also not smooth, it gets bumpy with time, but your ability to remind yourselves why you are together will keep you back on track. Due to the fact that constant motivation is needed in any relationship, I have put together relationship quotes to motivate your relationships, by individuals who are vaster in this area and who have walked the face of the earth more than I have.
1. Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not burn until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.Anais Nur
2. A loving relationship is one in which the loved one is free to be himself to laugh with me, but never at me; to cry with me, but never because of me; to love life, to love himself, to love being loved. Such a relationship is based upon freedom and can never grow in a jealous heart. Leo F. Buscaglia
3. A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out. Walter Winchell
4. The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed.Carl Jung
5. When you stop expecting people to be perfect, you can like them for who they are. Donald Miller
6. Assumptions are the termites of relationships. Henry Winkler
7. Relationships-of all kinds-are like sand held in your hand. Held loosely, with an open hand, the sand remains where it is. The minute you close your hand and squeeze tightly to hold on, the sand trickles through your fingers. You may hold unto some of it, but most will be spilled. A relationship is like that. Held loosely, with respect and freedom for the other person, it is likely to remain intact. But hold too tightly, too possessively and the relationship slips away and is lost.Kaleel Jamison
8. Someone to tell it to is one of the fundamental needs of human beings. Miles Franklin
9. When a woman is talking to you, listen to what she says with her eyes. Victor Hugo
10. Some think love can be measured by the number of butterflies in their tummy, others think love can be measured in bunches of flower, or by using the word ‘forever. But love can only be truly be measured by actions. It can be a small thing, such as peeling an orange for a person you love because you know they don’t like doing it. Marian Keyes
11. When you are truly in love, you will never have anything to hide. Jay-Z
12. Some of the biggest challenges in relationships come from the fact that most people enter a relationship to get something; they are trying to find someone who’s going to make them feel good. In reality, the only way a relationship will last is if you see your relationship as a place where you go to give, and not a place that you got o take.Anthony Robbins
13. The beginning of love is the will to let those we love to be perfectly themselves, the resolution not to twist them to fit our own image. If in loving them we do not love what they are, but only their potential likeness to ourselves, then we do not love them: we only love the reflection of ourselves we find in them.Thomas Merton
14. We can improve our relationships with others by leaps and bounds if we become encouragers instead of critics. Joyce Meyer
15. The royal road to a man’s heart is to talk to him about the things he treasures most. Dale Carnegie
16. Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down. Oprah Winfrey
17. You can kiss your family and friends goodbye and put miles between you, but at the same time you carry them with you in your heart, your mind, your stomach, because you do not just live in a world but a world that lives in you. Frederick Buechner
18. Life is partly what we make it, and partly what it is made by friends we choose. Tennessee Williams
19. When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion. Dale Carnegie
20. A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words. Donna Roberts
21. Loving people live in a loving world. Hostile people live in a hostile world. Same world. Wayne Dyer
22. Patience is the mark of true love. If you truly love someone, you will be more patient with that person. Thich Nhat Hanh
23. Communication is key in any relationship but understanding is the whole door. You wouldn’t need the key if the door is not there. Timi Dakolo
24. A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person. Mignon McLaughlin
25. To say that one waits a lifetime for his soulmate to come around is a paradox. People eventually get sick of waiting, take a chance on someone, and by the art of commitment become soulmates, which takes a lifetime to perfect. Criss Jami
26. Nothing is perfect. Life is messy. Relationships are complex. Outcomes are uncertain. People are irrational. Hugh Mackay
27. Love is a two-way street constantly under construction. Carroll Bryant
28. Spend a few minutes a day really listening to your spouse. No matter how stupid his problems sound to you. Megan Mullaly
29. We’re all a little weird. And life is a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into the mutually satisfying weirdness and call it love-true love. Robert Fulghum
30 Communication is the proof of life in any relationship. In spicing up your relationship, you need to prioritize communication and giving attention. Godman Akinlabi
31. The biggest difference trust makes in any relationship and not just an intimate one is that you can relax, be open, be yourself. Mira Kirshenbaum
32. Forgiveness is essential for every kind of relationship. Barbara J. Hunt
33. When you are focused on your partner’s good qualities and show them the same kindness, warmth, respect and generosity of spirit that you would your best friend, your relationship has the greatest chance of not just surviving but thriving into its later years.Sophie Winters
34. Working through conflict, we maintain and build a strong but flexible, honest but loving connection in our relationship. Aaron F. Steinberg
35. You come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly. Sam Keen
36. Love does not begin and end the way we seem to think it does. Love is a battle; love is a war; love is a growing up. James Baldwin
37. I believe that two people are connected at the heart, and it doesn’t matter what you do, or who you are or where you live; there are no boundaries or barriers if two people are destined to be together. Julia Roberts
38. Never above you. Never below you. Always beside you. Walter Winchell
39. In a relationship, each person should support the other; they should lift each other up. Taylor Swift
40. Learn to be quiet, enough to hear the genuine in yourself. So that you can hear it in others. Marian Wright Edelman
41. Love is an endless act of forgiveness. Forgiveness is me giving up the right to hurt you for hurting me. Beyonce
42. Well, it seems to me that the best relationships-the ones that last are frequently the ones that are rooted in friendship. You know, one day you look at the person and you see something more than you did the night before. Like a switch has been flicked somewhere. And the person who was just a friend is suddenly the only person you can ever imagine yourself with. Gillian Anderson
43. The ultimate test of a relationship is to disagree but to hold hands. Alexander Penny
44. Whenever you’re in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude. William James
45. He’s not perfect. You aren’t either and the two of you will never be perfect. But if he can make you laugh at least once, causes you to think twice, and if he admits to being human and making mistakes, hold unto him and give him the most you can. He isn’t going to quote poetry, he’s not thinking about you every moment, but he will give you a part of him that he knows you could break. Don’t hurt him, don’t change him, and don’t expect for more than he can give. Don’t analyze. Smile when he makes you happy, yell when he makes you mad and miss him when he’s not there. Love hard when there is love to be had, because perfect guys don’t exist, but there’s always one guy that is perfect for you. Bob Marley
This last quote is by far my favourite quote and I made it come last on the list because you might scroll to the end and I want you to get a quote that says it all. A relationship quotes to motivate your relationship, by helping you find perfect in imperfect.
There are a lot of relationship quotes to motivate your relationships, quotes to help you stay strong when it all seems like it will crumble. In fact, that tete-a-tete you just had with your little sister or brother surprisingly can serve as a relationship quotes to motivate you.
One sensible thing you can do for yourself when everything happening around you seems chaotic is to write, keep a journal. But surprisingly, when we hear the word “journal”, what comes to mind is an image of a teenage girl on her bed, writing about all the boys in her class. But the definition of a journal is way more than just a teenagers’ diary.
A journal is a record of your daily life, events, experiences, thoughts, feelings, ideas, achievements and happenings around you, more like your “amebo or gist partner” doesn’t matter your age, so why shouldn’t you have one? Before we look into reasons why you should keep a journal, let’s take a look at few types of journals, and trust me I would chip in some reasons to convince you before the end of this article.
Whether you are a foodie or not, you should definitely keep a food journal. This would help you keep track of what you eat during the day, eliminate the ones that are not healthy, in case you are struggling to lose weight. A food journal would also help you to determine what foods to eat to increase your metabolism or what foods are bad for you.
A travel journal helps you keep track of the places you have been to, the experiences, challenges you embarked on and also fun moments.
Keeping a fitness journal is really important as it helps you monitor every single workout, how your body reacts to the exercises and also how your body feels on the rest days.
A fitness journal also helps you know what workout works best for your body type.
This is the most important type of journal, as it helps you stay organized. Instead of bombarding your brain with a lot of things to do, write them down and at the end of the day cross out the ones you were able to complete and try to figure out why you couldn’t complete the rest.
The list doesn’t just end with the above types listed, you can keep whatever type of journal you want, be it an appreciation journal, goal tracker journal or a dream journal. Now, let’s dive into those reasons I promised you and I am sure that at this stage, you are already thinking about what type of journal to keep.
Why You Should Keep A Journal
1. Keeping a Journal Improve Writing Skill
Journaling helps to improve your writing skill, this is because the more you write, the more perfect you get at writing. You probably might want to ask “do I just write anything?”, heck yes, as long as you write, it doesn’t matter what.
2. It Helps Keep Track of Your Progress
Keeping a journal such as a fitness or a to-do list journal, helps you keep track of your progress and what to do in order to get better.
3. A Journal Improves Your Memory
When you write something down, it lets your brain know that you want to remember it again. It is proven that students who take notes during a lecture retain information better because the act of writing lets your brain know that it should pay attention.
4. Keeping a Journal Helps Achieve Goals
When you write down your goals, it serves as a reminder of what and what you need to achieve at what specific time, it also helps you stay accountable to your set down goals.
5. Journals Improve Communication Skill
You learn to express yourself effectively when you keep a journal, which in turn helps you communicate better. Writing leads to a clear mind, which leads to clear communication.
6. They can Serve as Record For the Future
A good journal is like wine; it gets better as it gets older.Unknown
7. Keeping a journal is a gift you give the future you, reading what you wrote can give you an insight into how far you have come. It also makes you appreciate the moments you have had, either good or bad and how they have helped you become who you are.
7. Inspiring Creativity Is One of the Reasons You Should Keep a Journal
You should keep a journal because it helps you harness your inner creativity. The more you write, the more you discover different thoughts, expressions and ideas you never knew you had in you.
8. A Journal Reduce Stress
When you write your thoughts and feelings, you decongest your mind and make it easier for your brain to process those thoughts and feelings that formed up throughout the day.
This act will help you sleep better at night.
9. Journals Help You Heal
Writing serves as a tool for emotional, physical and psychological healing. When you put your traumatic experiences into writing, it helps you free yourself from the experiences, which might lead to depression.
10. It Helps to Boost Self-Esteem
The more you write about positive experiences and results, the more your brain relives those moments and builds a mental shield when doubts try to prevent you from achieving your goals.
Always remember that journaling is not hard, what is hard is starting the habit. But, when you do start, no matter what type of journal you decide to keep, what’s most important is the fact that you made that choice to connect with your mind, body and soul.