In This Article
Food is any substance that can be eaten by a living thing to stay alive. Most importantly, food is a very crucial component of human survival, we need food to grow, stay energized, and be productive. However, food not taken in the right proportion has detrimental effects on the body. Similarly, when cooked wrongly. Therefore, this article contains 100 facts about food.
Fun Facts About Food
1. Antioxidant in apples is one chemical substance that can extend a person’s lifespan— This chemical neutralizes free radicals that have been linked to a variety of diseases.
2. Research shows that dark green veggies have more vitamin C compared to light-coloured red veggies.
3. Honey has an infinite lifespan. In other words, it doesn’t get spoiled.
4. Apple keeps you more awake and alert compared with coffee. Apple contains about 13 grams of natural sugar. These vitamins are released slowly throughout the body, making you feel more awake.
5. To improve your mood, eat some bananas— This is made possible because it contains lots of nutrients like vitamins B6, fibre, tryptophan, iron, protein and more.
6. Rubbing the inside of a banana peel on a mosquito bite keeps it from itching— This is due to the natural oils found within the banana’s skin.
7. Majority of the vitamins and minerals found in eggs are concentrated in the yolk.
8. Apple can last as long as a year, still looking fresh, if properly kept in a cool place.
9. Some dairy products are made from seaweed like in puddings, chocolate milk, chewing gum, jams and jellies.
10. Fruits and vegetables are low in calories and fat. Hence, they are a healthy diet for weight loss and maintenance.
11. Globally, strawberries are the only fruits with seeds on the outside.
12. An ostrich egg is equivalent to twenty-four chicken eggs.
13. Sardine fish are high in omega-3 fatty acids which prevent heart attack.
14. Surprisingly, the outer waxy coat of a cucumber is capable of erasing ink stains. It contains cleaning chemical content.
15. Did you know that potatoes can absorb and reflect radio wave signals? Because of the potatoes’ water content and chemistry.
16. 60% of the human gene is similar to that of a banana.
17. Did you know that chewing coffee beans can help eliminate bad breath? Yes, because coffee resists the bacteria that leads to bad breath.
18. Milk supplies calcium to the body which strengthens the bone and teeth.
19. Too much intake of ice cream causes toothaches. This is due to worn down enamel, exposing the dentin and causing pain when your tooth comes into contact with hot or cold foods and beverages.
20. Banana is a great source of fibre, potassium, and vitamin C.
Healthy Facts About Food
21. Garlic is one of man’s earliest medicines, it’s diverse in its function. This includes easy digestion, easing arthritis symptoms, calming nausea, relieving menstrual cramps and lots more.
22. 60% of the body’s blood glucose is utilized by the brain.
23. One of the many benefits of omega-3 fatty acids is that it helps fight inflammatory conditions like arthritis.
24. An average strawberry has about 200 seeds.
25. Did you know that cucumbers are 96% water? Hence, you can stay hydrated on cucumbers.
26. Cucumber is capable of removing the fog on bathroom mirrors that appear after bathing.
27. Eventually all bananas we eat are cloned from a single plant in southeast Asia.
28. Medically, cayenne pepper helps prevent asthma. It contains capsaicin, this substance helps reduce wheezing and clears airways to help you breathe comfortably.
29. Research shows that eating peanut butter can help lower body cholesterol. This is due to the high amount of unsaturated fats in peanut butter.
30. Globally, there are over 600 different types of strawberries. Broadly classified into June-bearing, everbearing, or day-neutral.
31. Avocados contain more healthy fat than any other fruit— It contains both monounsaturated fat, saturated fat and polyunsaturated fat.
32. Blueberries are the best sources of effective antioxidants in the world.
33. Lamb has high Omega-3 fatty acids. This helps protect the heart.
34. Medically, almonds improve metabolic health. Naturally, almonds are highly nutritious and rich in healthy fats, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.
35. Studies reveal that those who eat seafood food, especially fish, tend to live longer and reduce their risk of illnesses.
36. Studies show that people who eat the most full-fat dairy have a lower risk of obesity and type 2 diabetes.
37. Research proves that beans contain proteins, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that are good for the brain and muscles.
38. Broccoli is best eaten raw or lightly steamed. This is because overcooking leads to nutrient loss.
39. Eating cayenne pepper equalizes the blood and promotes blood clotting. This is because it increases circulation and improves blood vessel strength.
40. Eating blueberries boost cognitive ability and prevents cardiovascular diseases.
Weird But True Facts About Food
41. Medically, watermelon juice helps reduce the level of muscle soreness— This is attributed to an amino acid found in watermelon called L-citrulline.
42. Did you know that apples, pears, and peaches are all in the Rose family?
43. Vitamins B-2 and B-12 are found in eggs and help in generating red blood cells in the body.
44. Eggs provide a good amount of choline, which is important for cell membranes.
45. The oil in peanuts is one of the ingredients in making dynamites— Its oil is converted to glycerol, which in turn can be used to make nitro-glycerine, an ingredient for dynamite.
46. Antioxidant lycopene which is packed with tomatoes reduces the rate of so many cancers like skin, lung bladder, and prostate cancer.
47. Medically, broccoli contains a chemical known as sulforaphane that increases testosterone.
48. The best way to stay hydrated naturally is by consuming watermelon.
49. Constant consumption of blueberries cures hypertension faster in women. It helps lower blood pressure.
50. Tea drinking exercisers lose more weight compared with non-tea-drinking exercisers— It contains catechins which boost metabolism and break down fat rapidly.
51. The DHA Omega-3 acids in turkey, improve brain function and prevent the fat cells from growing in size.
52. Eating beans is good for your heart function— Folate, antioxidants, and magnesium found in beans can help lower blood pressure.
53. Coconut oil contains a chemical that cures Alzheimer’s disease. This is a disorder involving loss of mental function resulting from the brain tissue change.
54. Beans is one of those foods that dissolve slowly which helps you stay fuller without feeling hungry for long.
55. You’re likely to pick quality food products when you go shopping on Monday or Tuesday since it’s rare for the crowd to shop on that day.
56. Mustard boosts the body’s metabolism— Mustard seeds are low in calories and are packed with antioxidants.
57. Walnuts contain nutritional value good for the body— It has healthy Omega-3 fats. Furthermore, It helps in reducing inflammation and improving heart function.
58. Magnesium found in cashews helps the body get rid of constipation, insomnia, and muscle cramps.
59. Women who eat high-quality chocolate have 32% lower risk of developing heart failure than those who don’t.
60. Turmeric helps improve cognitive coordination in the body. This is attributed to curcumin found in turmeric that helps clear Alzheimer plaques.
Mind-Blowing Facts About Food
61. Sadly, excessive caffeine intake leads to insomnia and heart palpitations. Caffeine is a chemical with stimulant effects found mainly in coffee, tea, cola, cocoa.
62. Eating more slowly gives the brain time to perceive when you are full.
63. Studies show that eating slowly also reduces the number of calories consumed. Eating slowly permits thorough chewing which helps reduce calories intake.
64. Eating eggs in the morning with or as your breakfast keeps you full and prevents high consumption of calories in the later meal.
65. Eating high protein meals decreases the level of ghrelin, the hunger hormone.
66. Cooking a meal at home lowers obesity risk and improves diet. Homemade meals utilize fresh ingredients compared with processed ingredients used in cooking at restaurants.
67. High Omega-6 can lead to inflammation and cause diseases like heart attack and cancer.
68. Eating from a small bowl makes your food portion appear big. It further prevents overeating which may result in obesity.
69. One of the best natural energy drinks is green tea. It contains healthy bioactive compounds which improve productivity.
70. Storing fresh herbs naturally with water will last longer than those stored in the fridge.
71. Some people feel soup tastes better a day after preparation. I’m one of those people, what about you?
72. Oatmeal helps you stay fuller than you think, and prevents mid-interval meals like junk food.
73. To get deeply flavoured foods, don’t overcrowd the pan. Ingredients will be unevenly distributed when the pan is full.
74. Did you know that cold temperatures compromise the flavour of potatoes, onions, unpeeled garlic, and peaches?
75. Oftentimes, going late to the market guarantees you a large number of foodstuffs, since most vendors are in haste to close for the day.
76. Addition of coconut oil to boiling rice increases the rice resistance to starch which slows rapid digestion.
77. You get to feel full by eating pasta left overnight and reheated compared with freshly prepared pasta.
78. You’ve heard it over and over; sugar causes havoc to the body, so, keep your sugar intake low.
79. Sugar found in energy drinks is more corrosive to your teeth— Its sugar content can erode your enamel making your teeth vulnerable to decay and cavities.
80. Recently, research shows that taking too many energy drinks could destroy your liver. Although it causes acute liver injury, the exact chemical for this is still under investigation.
Random Food Facts
81. Research shows that eating from a small bowl increases the feeling of satiety and reduces energy intake for those who want to lose weight.
82. Oatmeal has lots of fibre and helps balance every meal. It serves as a stabilizer.
83. Research shows that hot dogs may be harmful to your body. It contains harmful chemicals like Sodium phosphate, corn syrup, sodium, sodium nitrite that increases the chances of heart disease, kidney disease, and weak bone.
84. Artificial sweeteners increase hunger hormone in the stomach. This includes Saccharin, Acesulfame, Sucralose among others.
85. Sunflowers seeds are the best alternative to chewing gum, it also provides you with vitamin E.
86. Unsweetened yoghurts are healthier for the body. It benefits gut bacteria and boosts the immune system.
87. Oftentimes, dairy products lead to belly bloat. Belly bloating occurs when the gastrointestinal tract is filled with air or gas.
88. Consumption of hydrogenated oils regularly causes heart disease— It increases your bad cholesterol and lowers your good cholesterol.
89. Low intake of nuts and seeds increases the risk of stroke and type 2 diabetes. Interestingly, nuts are full of unsaturated fatty acids, phytochemicals, fiber, vitamin E, folate, calcium, potassium and magnesium.
90. Ultra-processed foods are highly overeaten which can lead to excess calorie consumed and weight gain
91. Coffee intake increases longevity but minimizes your intake per day(not more than 4 cups). Most importantly, avoid high sugar additives.
92. Ginger and turmeric have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects, which may help improve your overall health.
93. The bacteria in your gut are collectively called microbiota and are important for your overall well-being.
94. Disruption to gut bacteria leads to obesity and digestion problems.
95. High-fiber food improves gut bacteria— Certain bacteria in your gut can digest fiber, which stimulates their growth.
96. Drinking water is the best way to stay hydrated—it’s free of calories, sugar, and additives.
97. Vitamin D improves bone strength, boosts the immune system, and reduces symptoms of depression.
98. Did you know that high protein intake boosts the metabolic rate in your body? This is due to the high thermic effect of protein.
99. Extra virgin olive oil is the best vegetable oil for cooking—its unsaturated fats and powerful antioxidants have anti-inflammatory properties.
100. You can calm queasy feelings by eating ginger— Ginger contains gingerol and shogaols which has anti-inflammatory properties and may improve digestion.